Get Right For The Summer
Summer is creeping up on us and it's getting close to beach and pool season. I'm excited for longer days and I'm also looking forward to being beach and pool ready! If you aren't interested in wearing bikini or shorts, it's still a good idea to increase exercise and also include more nutrients into your diet. Here are some nutrition and fitness tips from myself and my dear friend, Fitness Trainer, Kitwana John.
Nutrition and Fitness Tips from Me:
- Eat 3 medium sized meals and 2 snacks daily
- Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner should include:
- Whole Grains - Your body burns twice as many calories when breaking down whole grains. i.e.Oatmeal and Brown Rice
- Lean Protein - Lean protein contains less fat and also helps to burn fat. i.e. Chicken, Turkey, Fish and Meat Substitutes (Tofu)
- Water! - Water increases your metabolism and will keep you hydrated through the summer.
- Fruits and Veggies- The fiber in fruit will keep you full and increase your metabolism. i.e. Apples, Asparagus, Blueberries, Broccoli, Cabbage, Cucumbers, Grapefruit, Lettuce, Mushrooms, Spinach, Strawberries, Tomato and Zucchini
- Omit these foods: Soda, Chips, Candy, Fried Foods, White Bread, White Rice and Pasta (If you must eat starches, eat before 2pm).
- Limit your sugar and salt intake.
- Challenge yourself to walk at least 30 minutes a day!
- When you look good... You feel good!
Fitness and Nutrition Tips from Kitwana John, Fitness Trainer:
As a fitness personal trainer, I recommend working out 30 to 45 minutes daily. Your work out for 30 to 45 minutes every day must be a completely different workout to focus on the specific muscle groups. I tell all my clients the same thing: Everyone has 24 hours in a day. Set aside 30 to 45 minutes just for yourself. Your body will thank you in the long run.
You don't need more than 45 minutes a day. Before you begin a 5 to 7 warm-up is recommended to prevent from injury into get the heart rate going. I choose 10 to 12 of these workouts daily switch them out so you're not constantly doing the same workout every day.
Each workout is 30 seconds with a 10 to 15 seconds rest in between. When working out always make sure to stay hydrated also. Repeat so you give yourself 30 min for the entire workout , this does not include the warm-up or the cool-down.
Wall squats with ball
Leg over knee crunches (l)
Leg over knee crunches (r)
Squats with bands
Squats with ball
Jump squats with medicine ball
Boat rows with balls
Kettle bell swing (r)
Kettle bell swing (l)
Plank toe taps
Flip plank taps
Side lunge (r)
Side lunge (l)
Captain Morgan diagonal pass with ball
Plank reaches tap
Calf raise with weights
As far as nutrition goes everyone is different but I do recommend eating a healthy breakfast with snacks in between. Eat a solid lunch and a light dinner. Try to drink at least 2 to 3 quarts today and remember that water is 60% of your bodyweight.
Hydrate Hydrate Hydrate always! In warm weather hydrate even more. Your last meal of the day should not be very late because food needs time to digest and if you go directly to sleep after eating, nothing is being burned off.
Try to gather support from family and friends. They will help keep you motivated and inspired. Try to stay away from negativity. Positive thoughts will make you an even stronger individual.
I hope these tips from us will help you look and feel amazing this summer! What are you doing to get right for the summer?